Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What's in a Name?

Mom: What are you doing William?

Will: Thank-you Mama.

Mom: For what?

Will: Thank-you for saying William--that is my NAME, not Will. Why people say Will?


I was not able to explain that Will was a shortened version of his name--at least so that he was satisfied.

I still catch myself using Will as opposed to his given name. But now I know. Since this conversation with my young master, I have noticed that when he refers to himself he uses his given name, William.

Hmmm..

William Cole Turner.
He was named after my Granddad. William was his Father's name (William Austin), Cole was his Mother's maiden name (Ida Kaziah Cole Austin).

Obviously this name means a great deal to me. I loved my Granddad--I was his "fav-o-rite granddaughter" none the less.

I should use his name more often and not keep it locked up for those special times--like when he is in trouble.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You should have named him Kaziah. That would have been awesome.

Jamie said...

What a funny boy. (I mean Will, not Brian with his obnoxious comments.) Emi is also funny about her name - she makes everybody at school call her Emeline because that's her real name and Emi is her "fake" name. Apparently one girl had a hard time with her name and was calling her Dandelion.

Besides, we all know who William Turner was REALLY named after.

Mark and Meghan said...

i love that he knows his name and likes it when you use it! i'll have to remember that...i think i always call him will! not anymore! :)

Grandma Austin said...

His grandma calls him William all the time with very few exceptions. I'm glad he likes it. I should have named Brian Kaziah instead of Kay.