Friday, April 17, 2009

Baby Steps (or runs)

Not since before Dad died have I donned a bib and ran in a race. I will tomorrow. I am feeling the empty space he left behind. I can imagine I will feel it along the route tomorrow as well.

When I ran before I could always count on seeing him along the route in at least 8-10different places and then of course at the finish line. He was an expert at finding a spot, cheering me on as I ran by, then jumping in his truck to get to the next spot before I got there.

I am excited to do this! Funny how time changes things. I never thought I would do this again...but here I am, drinking my fluids and making sure I eat a good CHO filled dinner. All thanks to friends.

Whoo who!

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Now I feel even worse that we aren't going to be there! You will be awesome good luck. And and cheesey as it sounds I know your dad will be there too, he'd never miss it!

kiyo said...

Glad I was able to be a part of your return to the "race world". You seemed like you were having a great time on the course today. Two more months and we can do it again. I missed you at the gym this week. Maybe some light workouts on your week off???

Grandma Austin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grandma Austin said...

Well, I'm to good at cheering you on in 8 different places, but I thoroughly enjoyed waiting for you at the almost finish line. I'm very proud of you--not just for your amazing performance today, but the amazing way you perform in all you do.

Mark and Meghan said...

awesome leslie! hope it turned out good...hope to hear all about it soon!

Unknown said...

I didn't realize how momentous this was Leslie! (not that just regularly running a half marathon isn't momentous on it's own, but still.) so cool. congrats!

Jamie said...

I want an update and hear all about your experience! I hope you had a great race day!

Kevin Austin said...

Leslie, you're my hero.